American video on demand provider Netflix has conquered its home market, leaving YouTube, Amazon Prime and everyone else in the dust. Now, after a stumble in France, the San Jose-based entertainment giant is focusing on Europe.
We counted, ah, roughly a million jobs listed just on the Netflix’s career page, and on LinkedIn. Okay, maybe not a million, but at least 19 posted just in the last four weeks, with 90 percent posted just in the past few days from their Amsterdam headquarters, and from London.
At a big press event last month in Berlin, CEO and founder Reed Hastings stated Netflix is “just getting started in Europe.” Half of Netflix’s 100 million subscriber audience is outside the U.S., and clearly, Europe is a big part of the company’s expansion strategy.
In Berlin, Hastings announced that Netflix would be adding Romanian- and Greek-language services to its European offerings during 2017, bringing Netflix’s local offerings to 15 languages across Europe. So the company is looking at a major expansion across the continent. If you’re an English-speaking expat, this could be a phenomenal opportunity to join one of the world’s most successful companies.
All that said, Europe has a been a challenge for Netflix. Last year, the tech firm shut down its Paris office and moved its operations to Amsterdam.
In Paris, Netflix struggled to feed the beast with fresh local content because of France’s regulations regarding release schedules. France makes VoD companies wait three freakin’ years after theater release to stream movies!
With 66 million people, France is a significant potential audience, the second-largest behind Germany. But it’s also the only country in the European Union – population 510 million – as far as we can find with such a regulation.
At the same time, EU officials are at least discussing moving to a single digital market, which would be good for VoD companies. One tiny complication: The EU also wants to force them to buy 20 percent of their catalogues from European content providers. Which we see as punitive because that content is already available through local providers.
The truth is, with a few exceptions, it’s the American and British movies and in-house series that bring the VoD subscribers. In fact, there is a whole industry (virtual proxy networks) that has sprung up around the world to get Netflix’s American movie and TV catalog!
This is an exciting time if you’re qualified to work in the EU, and have the skills Netflix is looking for.
Here are a few of the cooler jobs we found:
• Brand Partner Marketing Manager – EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Asia)
What you’d do:
Collaborate with internal and external teams to ensure proper usage and representation of the Netflix brand and content across multiple regions. You will deliver content and brand assets for partner campaigns and placements for digital, retail, print, on-device and more. This Manager will guide the creative process for partners and work with external agencies tasked with producing creative that not only adheres to our brand guidelines, but represents Netflix and elevates the brand. This role will also work closely with the EMEA Partner Marketing team to create campaign overviews and coordinate partner events.
- Strong experience working with/at promotional partners, consumer electronics, creative agencies, and/or entertainment brands
- Can manage workflow and timelines of creative marketing asset development for distribution to internal/external teams across multiple channels (print, television, OOH, digital)
- Has a native understanding of traditional and digital media
- Solid understanding of entertainment and customer acquisitions creative, video execution, media, advertising, digital and retail marketing
- An ability to effectively provide input on creative development from a local market perspective
- Can apply marketing data for campaign optimization
- Able to act autonomously, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and excel under pressure
- Pan-EMEA experience preferred
- Fluency in English, additional languages a plus
What you’d do:
Report to the Director of Marketing and will oversee Netflix Originals campaign activations across multiple markets. Working closely with Publicity and PR counterparts and other international marketing and social media peers, you will be a strong consumer voice for the Netflix content that is launching or available on the service.
- Digital expertise. We are looking for someone that understands digital and social marketing and has demonstrated experience launching unique digital campaigns.
- Consumer marketing know-how. We are looking for someone that understands consumer marketing (preferably in the entertainment or consumer technology space) and how to not only build strategy but also execute flawlessly.
- Depth of knowledge. Seasoned experience in a related industry, with a high level of exposure to Central and Eastern European markets specifically.
- Concise and clear communication. We are looking for a fluent English speaker who also speaks fluent Polish, Hungarian or Romanian and feels comfortable communicating in both languages.
- A history of leadership. We’d like to see evidence of serving as a key decision maker in a senior marketing role
What you’d do:
The Manager will work across several different disciplines that bring Original series, films & docs to fruition here at Netflix. They will drive innovative French publicity campaigns for our French originals, whilst drawing on our incredible slate of originals to drive our business in France.
- Have 7-10 years of experience in a French entertainment PR setting – either agency or TV network.
- Possess a keen understanding of new and traditional media.
- Be able & willing to think on a Pan-European level
- Be able to understand and comfortably interpret business and technology issues.
- Be a clear and concise communicator
- Have excellent media relationships and experience executing a PR strategy and work well across disciplines to execute campaigns.
- Be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously under deadline and thrive in a high energy, fast-paced environment.
- Have experience managing agencies, be effective in dealing with talent, talent reps, journalists and other media influencers.
- Experience managing a team would be preferable
- Pack your bags because domestic and international travel is a requirement.
What you’ll do:
- Campaign creation and management. You will launch unique campaigns for our Netflix Originals that set new standards for entertainment marketing. You create meaningful relations with the different agencies we partner with.
- Cultural ambassador. You will be critical to help Netflix understand the Spanish customers while also living and embracing the Netflix culture.
Creativity. We are looking for someone able to turn cool ideas into reality. Someone who can play with our content and our brand to impact the right audience with the right message.
Digital expertise. We are looking for someone that understands digital marketing (display, rich media, VOD, direct video, mobile, paid social…) and has demonstrated experience launching and managing unique digital campaigns, from ideation and media planning to optimization and performance analysis.
Marketing know-how. We are looking for someone who understands consumer marketing –preferably in the entertainment space – and how to not only build strategy but also execute flawlessly.
Depth of knowledge. Solid and extended experience in leading marketing efforts and agency management experience in a related industry: TV & Entertainment, Tech or CPG.
Concise and clear communication. We are looking for a native Spanish and fluent English speaker with excellent communication skills, who is also confident working with senior leadership teams.