(Editor’s note: This post about careers at funded Dutch startups and scale-ups is part of Dispatches’ Tuesday Business Briefing, which includes the Tech Tuesday series and the EIndhoven Business Briefing.)
This is the hottest job market in decades and it comes as tech is booming, with investment levels never before seen in Europe. Nowhere is that more true than in the Netherlands, where startups and scale-ups are posting new career opportunities every day. And we’re aggregating the best from the companies we know and have worked with.
Interestingly, all of these companies except one – JW Player – came out of HighTechXL, a venture builder and acceleratore based at High Tech Campus Eindhoven. HighTechXL has been building startups since 2015. If you want to see what teams are up to, XL Day is coming up on 16 July at High Tech Campus. See details here.
Accerion, based in Venlo, was in the original HighTechXL cohort in 2015. It’s evolved into one of the fastest growing tech companies based in the Netherlands, with clients all over the world for its robot positioning technology.
Career opportunities include:
SENIOR BUSINESS DEVELOPER
- Find new opportunities in the dynamic industrial automation and mobile robotics market globally
- Get people excited about Accerion’s value, then turn these companies into new customers
- Manage and report the sales funnel from incoming leads to sales calls to sales visits and close those deals
- Manage the relationship with existing customers, supporting them and developing the Accerion technology in their products and organizations
- Gather customer feedback and insights, then pass them on to the Accerion team for product development and improvements, offerings and marketing
- Negotiate multi-level deals and large accounts
- Manage and develop an international worldwide partner-network for Sales & Service
- Manage and support sales team including Customer Success Engineers for initial sensor implementation
The ideal candidate has the following profile:
- Entrepreneurial profile
- At least 5 years’ experience in an expanding technology B2B sales role
- Background in industrial or logistics automation, mobile robotics and/or material handling
- BSc. or higher in commerce and/or technology
- Able to travel frequently and manage a flexible work schedule
- You know how to be nimble yet detailed.
- You know how to effectively follow up to support the customer in the sales process.
- You’re able to clearly define areas of product improvement and assist the team in developing new solutions.
- Language skills: English as a minimum, preferably also Dutch. German and/or Spanish is a real bonus.
- You’re eager to master the details of our technology and understand customers and their needs.
Other open positions at Accerion include:
Onera, Eindhoven and Palo Alto
Onera came out of HighTechXL’s 2017 cohort and has been growing ever since. In that time, the team – led by co-founders Soukaina Adnane and Ruben de Francisco – has been perfecting next-gen medical grade sleep diagnostics. This is a spin-off company of Leuven, Belgium-based R&D hub IMEC and Holst Centre, TNO’s R&D operations on High Tech Campus Eindhoven.
Onera raised 8.5 million euros in a Series A led by Jazz Pharmaceuticals, imec.xpand and includes imec and BOM. It just got it CE Mark in Europe for its Polysomnography (PSG) device.
Job openings include:
You will be involved in medical device compliance activities throughout the whole lifetime of our products.
You will be part of a multidisciplinary, energetic, young, and international start-up team. You will help to ensure that our products are in compliance with applicable medical device regulations and with our Quality Management System.
• Establish and maintain Onera’s Quality Management System (QMS)
• Establish and maintain the Quality policies
• Liaise with other managers and the Onera team, provide training, tools and techniques to enable others to achieve the quality objectives
• Follow-up and handling of Corrective and Preventive Actions (CAPAs) and QMS improvement opportunities
• Support internal and external audits
• Work with procurement staff to establish quality requirements/control for external suppliers
• Work with manufacturing staff to ensure that the manufacturing/production processes meet the quality standards
• Ensure good documentation practice
• BSc or MSc in life sciences, engineering or similar
• At least 4 years of relevant work experience
• At least 1 years in the medical device industry in quality assurance preferred
• Knowledge of ISO13485, 21 CFR 820
• Structured thinking, autonomous and ability to prioritize
• Skilled in numerical and statistical analysis
• Attention to detail
• Enjoy a dynamic, diverse, and flexible work environment
• Legally authorized to work in the Netherlands (already possessing a visa/EU residence permit)
• Good communication skills in English (written and spoken)
• Positive attitude, can-do mentality, and flexibility – much needed in a startup!
Apply by email to:
Onera has other openings including
• project manager, medical devices
• systems architect, medical devices
• embedded software engineer, medical devices
Aircision, an alum from HighTechXL’s 2018 deep-tech cohort, just negotiated a series of tests for their free space optics technology and is raising new capital. The Aircision technology is a crucial piece of the overall 5G network. The startup is headquartered in Building 12 on High Tech Campus Eindhoven.
They have two openings:
• Experience with PCB development (design, simulation, layout, soldering, testing)
• Experience in one or more of: optical data receivers and transmitter (PIN, APD based), laser
drivers and modulators, power management electronics, opto/mechanical components for
alignment, components for data processing, conversion, and communication, …
• Solid knowledge of analog electronics principles (including ESD, EMC, EMI, lifetime, …)
To be eligible, you MUST have an EU Work Visa or EU Citizenship or the right to work within the EU.
• Design of analog circuits for free-space optical communication systems.
• Development of prototype mixed signal PCBs for platform development.
• Involvement in the full-cycle product development: hardware design, prototyping, and
preparation for production.
• Strong English verbal and communication skills.
• Able to present yourself and necessary technical details to our customers..
• Able to work closely with a wider engineering team within the company and at our partners.
• Prepared to work in a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team while able to work autonomously.
• Self-propelling, flexible, showing initiative, result driven.
• Hands-on attitude and ability to have fun.
Apply at: [email protected]
Aircision also has an opening for a Systems Control Engineer. You can see the details here.
JW Player, Eindhoven and New York
This is the only company on this list that didn’t come out of HighTechXL. Even people in Eindhoven have never heard of JW Player, but they’re about to. The company just raised $100 million from an American private equity firm and on the edge of Unicorn status, closing in on a billion dollar valuation
SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER – Eindhoven or the United Kingdom
Senior Account Managers have a big impact at JW Player and are responsible for a significant portion of the company’s revenue through renewing and growing existing partnerships.
The senior account manager will retain and expand client accounts in the EMEA market while ensuring client satisfaction and developing solid account plans.
As an Senior Account Manager, you will:
- Drive the success of Top Tier Accounts by understanding and anticipating clients’ business needs
- Convey JW Player’s value proposition
- Strengthen client relationships with ongoing communication and new solutions
- Collaborate with all areas of the organization to optimize team productivity
- Maintain and improve CRM data within Salesforce.com
- Proactively manage your schedule, customer pipeline and renewals to meet quarterly objectives
- Plan and deliver on client needs before they happen
- Lead Client Advocacy and improved Client Experience
- Assist in gathering client feedback, defining processes, and identifying best practices
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and a minimum of 4-plus years of related experience
- OVP or ad-tech related experience
- Ability to deliver results in driving pipeline growth for SaaS-based deals
- Solid interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Thorough working knowledge of sales tools, including Salesforce.com
- Experience presenting to customers in-person and via phone/email
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Multi-lingual: preferably French and Spanish
- Development Program
- An opportunity to make an impact in a fast paced environment
- Bi – Annual Hack Weeks
- AMA (Ask Me Anything) and Fireside chats with Executives & JW Player family
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web more than a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision. JW Player’s massive global footprint of more than 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views.
JW Player global headquarters are in New York City, but founder Jeroen Wijering and his core team of developers remain in Eindhoven.