Is your company relocating you to Haarlem, Netherlands in the next few months? Are you already in Haarlem with your family? Then you need to know about International School Haarlem, the newest international school on the block.
According to IHS Primary Department Head Marian Schreppers, the school will open its doors at Schreveliusstraat 1 in September 2017 with between 40 and 60 primary school students for the 2017-2018 academic year.
This will be followed by a secondary program for the 2018-2019 year, with total enrollment to range between 500 and 1,000 students in the next two to three years.
Funding for the public international school comes from the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs, as well as Haarlem’s city council, and the Metropolitan Area of Amsterdam. Total investment is around 1.2 million euros.
The planned curriculum for IHS’s two schools will likely be based upon International Primary Curriculum and British National Curriculum programs for the primary wing, International Baccalaureate Middle Years and Diploma programs for the secondary school.
Being a Dutch public international school, all coursework will be taught in English. Per Schreppers, IHS is currently hiring teachers for the first year of the school, all of whom must be native English speakers.
No specific number was given regarding how many teachers will be hired for the first year and beyond.
Until then, the school is renovating Schreveliusstraat 1 and “arranging all that is necessary for a good start” to the first year of learning. But why was this address chosen? And were other locations up for consideration?
“For the start, this school building was our No. 1 choice,” said Schreppers. “It will offer enough classrooms for a successful start. However, when the school grows, we need to move to a permanent location; this is either a new building or a building that is suitable for a maximum of 1,000 students.”
Such a move would likely occur around 2020, according to Schreppers’ estimates.
Here’s more information on International Haarlem School:
- Fees (2017-18 academic year): 200€ one-time non-refundable registration fee; 500€ deposit upon acceptance, refundable once all conditions have been properly fulfilled; 4,500€ annual tuition fee for the first two children, 30 percent reduced tuition for third child, 40 percent reduced tuition for fourth child and subsequent children; full information here
- Requirements: Email pre-application form with required information; complete and submit application form with all required documentation upon acceptance; full information here
- Application Deadline: N/A; contact school for information; no waiting lists for the primary school in the 2017-2018 academic year
- Contact: [email protected]
- Website: www.internationalschoolhaarlem.nl
The projected first day of school at ISH is 4 September 2017.
Lifestyle journalist. Born in Louisville. Raised in Kansas. Where I lay my head is home.