In the United States and countries across Europe, they’re fretting about the possibility of a recession. In the Netherlands, we’re still fretting about where to find the global talent to fill thousands of jobs. Which means careers for our highly skilled, English-speaking internationals.
Tech firms here are creating the future, not trying to hold on to the legacy technology of the past. So this could be the place to be if the global economy has a hiccup.
What’s different about this post is we’re recommending companies we know in our headquarters of Eindhoven and in other Dutch cities. Teams we have covered or we actually work with.
We know these teams. They’re cool and you’ll want to hang with them. So, this is an endorsement or we wouldn’t include them.
(To be clear, this is not a paid endorsement because we don’t get anything for this beyond the pleasure of their company. Which actually means a lot to us.)
Accerion has several career opportunities
Accerion – one of the Netherlands’ quiet success stories – is just now going global. Accerion founder Willem-Jan Lamers created this optical positioning technology for autonomous robots back in 2015, then entered HighTechXL’s accelerator.
This year, everything is going Accerion’s way. That includes new clients, a significant A Round investment backed by Phoenix Contact Innovation Ventures and a successful trip to Boston as part of a Dutch trade delegation that included Prime Minister Mark Rutte and top executives for the Netherlands’ largest companies. (More on that later.)
Accerion is hiring a Senior Computer Vision Engineer who will be responsible for:
- Developing and implementing computer vision/image processing algorithms
- Optimizing software architecture
- Improving code quality
- Optimizing computational efficiency/system performance
- Creating prototypes, implementing and testing new functionality based on market feedback
- Developing imaging system calibration algorithms and tools
- Preferably testing and integrating your work using hardware
What they want from you:
- You have a technical academic background (MSc/PhD)
- You have three or more years of experience in the computer vision/image processing field or relevant experience during your Master’s thesis or PhD
- You have experience in embedded C++, multi-core programming
- You love to develop high-performance algorithms and quality code
- You have experience with GIT, scrum and (embedded) Linux
- You are able to communicate well with your team members
- You have a passion for technology (robotics, sensors, tinkering)!
What Accerion offers:
- Work on an informal, dynamic, international and highly skilled team with people from diverse backgrounds
- Work on new and unique technology and build products for the mobile robotics market
- Work in our beautifully designed and easily accessible office by car and train (1 min. walk) in the city of Venlo
- Opportunity for on-the-job competence and personal development
- Flexible working hours
Accerion has a diverse crew and they have additional careers for those with advanced technical skills at the headquarters in Venlo on the Netherlands/Germany border.
HighTechXL needs a portfolio manager
(Full disclosure: Dispatches is a HighTechXL partner company.)
You would work with HighTechXL’s Investor Relations and Alumni Manager, supporting that person in growing a committed and high-quality community of investors for accelerator programs and startups.
- Analyzing financial statements and assisting startups teams and alumni with creating financial projections
- Organizing investor workshops and co-creating high quality content
- Actively updating and maintaining HighTechXL’s investor database
- Using a database to match HighTechXL startups with investors according to their preferences
- Finding new angel investors in the Netherlands and building the HighTechXL angel network together with one of the Rockstart founders
- Creating, then sending out, a monthly investor newsletter
- Building relationships with associates from national and international VC’s for referral of startups
- Building relationships with HighTechXL alumni
- live in or around Eindhoven (or be willing to relocate)
- be fluent in English
- have experience in a startup (business development or investor relations) or in Venture Capital
- be a fast learner: You must get to know the HighTechXL startup portfolio and current investor community quickly
- be available 30-40 hours per week
- be able to start immediately
You get bonus points for:
- previous work/internship experience in a similar environment: Venture Capital or an accelerator
- being fluent in Dutch
- being deeply interested in the startup scene and ideally have organized/attended events or other startup related meetups
- experience using Podio/Trello/Streak/TeamGantt/Google Apps
This is a long-term position, with an initial 6-month contract.
Send your CV to: email@example.com
JW Player needs a software engineer
We’ve written a lot about JW Player because this is one of Eindhoven’s best-kept secrets. JW Player and founder Jeroen Wijering laid the foundation for the embedded video technology that became YouTube. Now JW Player has clients for its proprietary video technology that include Amazon and a lot of the world’s largest media companies.
Though the company is technically based in New York City, Jeroen is based in Eindhoven, his hometown, along with the company’s engineering group.
Jeroen is looking for a software engineer. That person will help manage internal and user-facing dashboards, e-commerce and direct-sold payments systems, as well as internal user account management APIs and data stores, according to an email we got from them.
The ideal candidate is “a systems-minded person who can create simple solutions to complex problems while flourishing in a fast-paced, dynamic environment,” according to the email.
To be considered, you need:
- 3-plus years of experience in software development
- fluency in Python
- a proven track record with maintainable, stable and scalable software
- a collaborative demeanor and excellent communications skills
- an obsession for code quality and test coverage
- a bias toward action: JW Players hires self-starters with ownership
- strong Unix/Linux skills
- knowledge of Docker and containerization
- Bachelor’s degree (or more) in a Computer Science; or equivalent experience
We know from hanging out there this is an employee-friendly company with:
- bi-annual hack weeks
- employee-led instruction on everything from deep learning to knitting
- P&E all hands where they walk through architecture and customer use cases
- company-sponsored outings
- D&I committee fostering inclusiveness
- a new-hire buddy program
Okay, there was a LOT more coder/developer jargon we didn’t have a clue about, so you can see the full careers announcement and application link here.
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web more than a decade ago. It’s one of the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices.
The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500 in 2017. For more information, check out the JW Player website here.
Incooling needs two interns
As we stated above, this post features open positions at some of Eindhoven’s cutting-edge companies. And they don’t get anymore cutting edge than the three deep-tech startups just spun out of HighTechXL.
Incooling uses CERN CO2 cooling technology to cool computer chips, CPUs and GPUs.
Incooling needs two interns:
• a marketing intern
• an electrical engineering intern
This internship will test your skills in the real world. We know … we work right next to them on High Tech Campus Eindhoven.
What you get:
• A dynamic startup culture, not your typical corporate environment. Learn about startup life from the inside-out
• A place to excel, take ownership and make your own decisions and growth.
• A fun and very diverse team
• An office on High Tech Campus the smartest square kilometer in the world
Who they want:
• A WordPress wizard
• Someone savvy at working with Photoshop, InDesign and other graphics software
• A team player who is multilingual (Dutch would be a plus but not essential
• A person with a creative approach who is outgoing and sociable
What you’ll do:
- manage Incooling’s social media channels
- help with website design
- help with company communications including creating newsletters and press releases
- design promotional materials and collateral
- attend events in our focus area
- have fun! (This is kind of important.)
If this sounds like you, email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Brainport Eindhoven currently has more than 700 tech and IT careers
If you like what you see, there are soooo many more careers available here in our part of the Netherlands. The best careers compendium for Eindhoven’s giant tech ecosystem is economic development agency Brainport Eindhoven’s career portal.
Here you’ll find jobs at some of the world’s largest deep-tech companies including ASML, NXP and Philips along with careers at emerging next-gen tech companies.