This is the second in a series of curated careers posts … the coolest jobs here in Eindhoven, Europe’s most important – and most underappreciated deep-tech hub – and in other Dutch cities.
Dispatches posts a lot of career opportunities. What’s different about this is we’re recommending companies we know, have covered or we actually work with. So we know these teams … the actual people and their corporate cultures. They’re cool and you’ll want to hang with them. So, this is an endorsement or we wouldn’t include them.
The majority of these jobs are on High Tech Campus Eindhoven.
(To be clear, this is not a paid endorsement because we don’t get anything for this beyond the pleasure of their company. Which actually means a lot to us.)
Of all the jobs we’ve reviewed lately, this might be the coolest for some adventurous soul.
Accerion is recruiting a Customer Success Engineer who can jet to clients all over the world, install the latest in positioning technology, then come back to its Venlo headquarters with insights about trends in autonomous robots.
This is a high-impact, high-responsibility position with a fast-growing deep-tech firm based in Venlo, on the Dutch/German border.
From the release:
Do you get excited about cutting-edge technology AND the people who use it to build the latest solutions? Do you have a “just do it” personality and attitude? Are you flexible and dedicated? Because this is not your typical 9-to-5 job.
Here are the crucial details from their job posting:
Accerion is a fast-growing deep-tech company building positioning technology for next-gen autonomous industrial robots. In this environment, we’re not “hiring” people. We’re offering the right personality off-the-chart responsibilities and opportunities in a role that’s crucial to Accerion’s success.
We’re looking for a Customer Success Engineer willing to parachute into customers’ operations around the world, then come back after successful integration projects with vital industry understanding and ideas for new Accerion products.
The basics Customer Success Engineer will be responsible for:
- integrating the Jupiter and Triton positioning systems into customer’s robots and navigation systems including direct customer support
- analyzing and resolving technical issues as the crucial customer contact
- building support and testing automation and systems together with the development team
- One crucial aspect of this job will be monitoring both customer needs and industry trends, on the lookout for new market opportunities, then reporting back to Accerion’s technical staff.
- The ideal candidates can code with some basic knowledge of programming languages such as C++, Python, Linux and ROS/ROS 2.
- You’ll work with a top-notch R&D team, top-level systems engineers and developers who know the architecture of their systems and how to develop solutions for performance and reliability.
- You’ll conduct early-stage pilot programs and help build automated operations (plus anything in between) with industry-leading tech companies in the industrial robotics market.
The ideal candidate must have a sense of adventure, because we have customers all over the world, and you’re going to work with them side-by-side. Then you’re going to bring back what you’ve seen and learned to share with development teams.
Send your CV to [email protected]
Venture Journey needs a developer
Venture Journey is a SAAS spin-off from Eindhoven-based venture builder HighTechXL. They’re building a professional platform using Vue.js and C#. The platform is used to assess and monitor startups and scale-ups on progress and success.
Venture Journey is its own young and growing company, with flat organizational structure, a personal approach and open communications.
You should apply if:
• you have finished HBO or WO education in IT.
• you are analytical with an eye for (graphical) details;
• you are entrepreneurial with the drive to learn, and develop yourself within the team. If you don’t have all the listed requirements, don’t worry. With your inquisitiveness, we will make sure you grow into the job.
What’s in it for you?
You get the chance to be involved in product development and grow with the team. You get a say in the functioning of the systems. You will be part of the full development process, and work and think along.
Depending on your knowledge and experience, we offer a competitive salary; a traffic allowance and educational budget in time and money; the possibility to apply your ideas and innovativeness in practice; the possibility to work from home or flexible working hours.
Would you like to develop yourself and write code as a software engineer in an organization where you have impact and are appreciated? Please contact Onno Pistorius at [email protected]
JW Player needs a software engineer, backend
We’ve written a lot about JW Player because this is one of Eindhoven’s best-kept secrets. JW Player and founder Jeroen Wijering developed the code for embedded video technology that became YouTube. Now JW Player has clients for its proprietary video technology that include Amazon and a lot of the world’s largest media companies.
Though the company is technically based in New York City, Jeroen is based in Eindhoven, his hometown, along with the company’s engineering group.
Jeroen is looking for a software engineer, backend. That person will help manage internal and user-facing dashboards, e-commerce and direct-sold payments systems, as well as internal user account management APIs and data stores, according to an email we got from them.
The ideal candidate is “a systems-minded person who can create simple solutions to complex problems while flourishing in a fast-paced, dynamic environment,” according to the email.
To be considered, you need:
- 3-plus years of experience in software development
- fluency in Python
- a proven track record with maintainable, stable and scalable software
- a collaborative demeanor and excellent communications skills
- an obsession for code quality and test coverage
- a bias toward action: JW Players hires self-starters with ownership
- strong Unix/Linux skills
- knowledge of Docker and containerization
- Bachelor’s degree (or more) in a Computer Science; or equivalent experience
We know from hanging out there this is an employee-friendly company with:
- bi-annual hack weeks
- employee-led instruction on everything from deep learning to knitting
- P&E all hands where they walk through architecture and customer use cases
- company-sponsored outings
- D&I committee fostering inclusiveness
- a new-hire buddy program
Okay, there was a LOT more coder/developer jargon we didn’t have a clue about, so you can see the full careers announcement and application link here.
HIGHTECHXL NEEDS A PORTFOLIO MANAGER
(Full disclosure: Dispatches is a HighTechXL partner company.)
Work with HighTechXL’s Investor Relations and Alumni Manager, supporting this deep-tech venture-building effort to expand a committed and high-quality community of investors for accelerator programs and startups.
- Analyzing financial statements and assisting startups teams and alumni with creating financial projections
- Organizing investor workshops and co-creating high-quality content
- Actively updating and maintaining HighTechXL’s investor database
- Using a database to match HighTechXL startups with investors according to their preferences
- Finding new angel investors in the Netherlands and building the HighTechXL angel network together with one of the Rockstart founders
- Creating, then sending out, a monthly investor newsletter
- Building relationships with associates from national and international VC’s for referral of startups
- Building relationships with HighTechXL alumni
- live in or around Eindhoven (or be willing to relocate)
- be fluent in English
- have experience in a startup (business development or investor relations) or in venture capital
- be a fast learner: You must get to know the HighTechXL startup portfolio and current investor community quickly
- be available 30-40 hours per week
- be able to start immediately
YOU GET BONUS POINTS FOR:
- previous work/internship experience in a similar environment: Venture Capital or an accelerator
- being fluent in Dutch
- being deeply interested in the startup scene and ideally having organized/attended events or other startup related meetups
- experience using Podio/Trello/Streak/TeamGantt/Google Apps
This is a long-term position with an initial 6-month contract.
SEND YOUR CV TO: [email protected]
Imec needs a scientific director for new AI for Intuitive Spaces research
Technically based in Leuwen, Belgium, imec has operations in Eindhoven. This is one of the premier research centers in Europe, with imec specializing in nanoelectronics.
For this new role, imec is looking for an outstanding principal researcher or professor, with entrepreneurial and business-oriented skills, according to their website.
Candidates should have a PhD degree in AI, Augmented Reality, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, Data Analysis or related fields.
imec is looking for people who have practical ideas about how to actually apply this gee-whiz technology to industrial applications for smart buildings, smart health, industry 4.0 and whatever.
The successful candidate will have a research track record of “internationally recognized scientific achievements and an international scientific network.”
As Scientific Director AI for Intuitive Spaces you will:
- Develop a scientific roadmap on AI for Intuitive Spaces, building on imec innovative sensors and enabling new applications with a focus on professional spaces.
- Pursue novel applications of technologies to address challenging real-world problems, including establishing new areas of research.
- Define, together with the research team, the requirements for a range of different problems. You conceptualize innovative methods and break down research tracks into de-risk steps.
- Advocate for imec at conferences, seminars and other events, and participate in the adequate scientific eco-systems.
INCOOLING NEEDS TWO INTERNS
As we stated above, this post features open positions at some of Eindhoven’s cutting-edge companies. And they don’t get any more cutting edge than the three deep-tech startups just spun out of HighTechXL.
Incooling uses CERN CO2 cooling technology to cool computer chips, CPUs and GPUs.
Incooling needs two interns:
• a marketing intern
• an electrical engineering intern
This internship will test your skills in the real world. We know … we work right next to them on High Tech Campus Eindhoven.
What you get:
• A dynamic startup culture, not your typical corporate environment. Learn about startup life from the inside-out.
• A place to excel, take ownership and make your own decisions and growth.
• A fun and very diverse team
• An office on High Tech Campus, the smartest square kilometer in the world
These traites are essential:
- Team player
- Socially outgoing
- Good social media content writer
- Is not afraid to have fun in the office
These skills are desirable, but not essential:
• WordPress knowledge
• Savvy at working with Photoshop, InDesign and other graphics software
• A person with a creative approach who is outgoing and sociable
What you’ll do:
- manage Incooling’s social media channels
- help with website design
- help with company communications including creating newsletters and press releases
- design promotional materials and collateral
- attend events in our focus area
- have fun! (This is kind of important.)
If this sounds like you, email your CV and cover letter to [email protected]